Desktop Icons Randomly Appear And Disappear

0 Comments »
Q: I have Windows XP SP2 loaded on my PC and my computer is updated regularly using Microsoft Update. Recently my desktop icons have started disappearing and appearing for no apparent reason. I have defragged and error checked my computers hard drive but that did nothing. I also have an anti-virus program from AVG installed so I am fairly certain my computer is virus free. I have also checked for Trojans using spybot and nothing has shown up. My computer runs great besides the icons randomly appearing and disappearing.

A: I know that you have tried both anti-virus and spybot so I have some instructions to see if this will alleviate the problem for you. If it does not please let me know. This does require editing an entry in your registry so I strongly recommend that you backup your registry before you begin.

1. Ctrl + Alt + Delete and identify sysu.exe in the processes list.
2. Close it, and go to C:\Program Files.
3. Locate the folder ddm and delete it.
4. Click on start -> run and type in regedit.
5. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE remove the folder ddm.
6. Click on start -> run and type in msconfig.
7. Click on the right-most tab labeled startup.
8. Scroll down and locate an entry with no command line.
9. Uncheck the box and apply all changes.
10. Reboot your computer; check the checkbox for a window that comes up saying you changed startup settings.
10:04 PM

0 Responses to "Desktop Icons Randomly Appear And Disappear"

Post a Comment