Device Is Preventing The Machine From Entering Standby Mode

0 Comments »
Q: Hello, I’m running Windows XP on a Gateway laptop and when the computer tries to enter standby mode I get the following error: The device driver for the “Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard” device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.” I’ve tried updating the driver, uninstalling it, and reinstalling it. Nothing works. What I have noticed though is that it started when I added Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition 3.0 to my computer and when I uninstall that software the error doesn’t appear. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe software several times and each time the error returns. I have an HP Printer/Scanner/Copier that seems to prefer the Adobe Software for the scanning component as what came with it yet it doesn’t seem to be compatible with my laptop. Do you have any suggestions??

A: A quick search using Google reveals that Microsoft is aware of your issue. See the Microsoft article entitled “Device Driver for the Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard” Error Message When You Try to Enter Standby for more information. The basic idea of the article is that the Adobe Type Manager (ATM) sometimes conflicts with the standby function in Windows XP. Microsoft’s solution to the problem is to uninstall the ATM. So it seems reasonable that PhotoDeluxe is indeed the source of your standby problems. According to a post in the notebookreview.com forums called Standby Fails on closing the lid –says keyboard driver problem, the solution to your problem is:

1. Uninstall PhotoDeluxe.
2. (I would suggest restarting your computer)
3. Perform a customized reinstall of PhotoDeluxe without the ATM.
4. (I would restart again.)

Your computer should now go into standby mode normally. You might want to look at some of the other posts regarding Adobe PhotoDeluxe here at Ask A Geek. You might also want to consider replacing PhotoDeluxe with its successor, Adobe Photoshop Elements. Many of the features found in PhotoDeluxe still exist in Photoshop Elements.
11:02 AM

0 Responses to "Device Is Preventing The Machine From Entering Standby Mode"

Post a Comment