IE7 And Outlook Crash

0 Comments »
Q: Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 and Microsoft Outlook 2002 10.6822.6830 SP3 keep crashing. Is it because I am running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP3 on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1700 MHz 1.70 GHz 384 MG of RAM? I’m afraid that my motherboard is not powerful enough and that I don’t have enough memory to run the software I have. I’m also afraid that I need to upgrade to Outlook 2007 as well as upgrade my motherboard. Thanks.

A: Hello! It seems like you are having a compatibility issue between Internet Explorer and Spybot. (I am assuming you are running Spybot, as your symptoms are exactly those caused by incompatibility between the two programs.)

This behavior is actually a “feature” of SDHelper. Basically Spybot is trying to block websites that it deems risky. The software is trying to prevent you from visiting any sites that could potentially infect your machine with malware, spyware, all of that bad stuff.

To change the behavior, you can configure Spybot in Internet Explorer. Simply access Tools, Spybot S&D Configuration, selecting “blocking confirmation.” This will set Internet Explorer to ask you about blocking sites rather than simply shutting down your browser and Outlook.

If you would rather not have SDHelper running at all (this will stop the blocked site notifications) you can disable it. To do so, access Spybot S&D, Advanced Mode, Tools, Resident. Here you can disable the Helper. Once you have done this, you will need to restart Internet Explorer to see the results.

Another thing I would be certain to do is notify Microsoft about the behavior. Since you are using SP3, which is still in Beta testing, you will want to inform them of the issue just in case it has something to do with the service pack.

I hope this information helps! Thanks!
1:08 PM

0 Responses to "IE7 And Outlook Crash"

Post a Comment